Best of Both Worlds – Bring CWC into CWA
Posted on April 1, 2019
NOTE!! This plugin does work with CWC 2019.x now – as well as previous releases!
So we all know how awesome CW Control is, right? Well this plugin gives you the ability to use CWC from Automate. The plugin communicates with the CWC API to run the needed commands. The code was adapted by Chris Taylor’s PowerShell module for running commands and such, but is implemented directly in the plugin and does not use PowerShell.
Computer Window Features
- Run commands and PowerShell commands via command prompt.
- Send a WOL to the computer through CWC.
- Restart CWA services.
- View the most recent screenshot and last check-in.
These commands run from the Control Center and do not run directly on the computer, so they will work even if the agent is offline in CWA.
- Run commands and PowerShell commands.
- Send a WOL to the computer. Great for offline servers/workstations.
- Restart CWA services. Also great for offline servers/workstations.
- Check if the computer is online in CWC. Oh yeah, now you know if it’s *actually* offline!
- End the CWC session. Useful for off-boarding properly after uninstalling CWC and CWA.
These functions on the CWA server with the script engine and do NOT connect to a computer to complete. So you can check online/offline status and restart services through CWC, as well as running any other commands through CWC, without having PowerShell steps or plain text passwords for your CWC user in the script.
- The plugin will automatically scan all computers every hour to determine if they are online in CWC. This is stored in a computer-level extra data field as “Online in Control.” This means that you can easily search for computers that are online in Control but not working in CWA. You can of course then use the plugin or a script with the script functions to restart the CWA agent or reinstall if needed.
- Confirming offline server alerts to make sure the computer is really offline
- Restarting the CWA agent when it’s not functioning
- Reinstalling the CWA agent when it’s not functioning
- Updating the CWA agent more forcefully that the Update Agent command
- Issuing a WOL to the computer through CWC (as this can sometimes be more reliable than WOL from CWA)
- Thoroughly and completely off-board a computer from CWC and CWA
The plugin is available via monthly/yearly subscription. A 7 day trial is available so you can make sure the plugin meets your needs. In order to do the trial, simply subscribe below as you normally would. If you don’t cancel the subscription within 7 days, you’ll THEN be billed; you are not billed initially. Once subscribed and the plugin is installed with the Plugin Installer, open up any computer window, go to the Plugins section and select the plugin. It will prompt you for the key you receive via email.