LabTech Plugin: Datto Monitor
Posted on June 3, 2016
If you need to regularly check in on your Datto backup devices to see what’s going on with them, you know that there can be a lot of information available, but not always in an easily viewable way. This plugin aims to fix that. Open it from the View Menu and you can get at-a-glance information on all Datto devices, as well as screenshot, offsite, and backup issues. Click on a device and drill down to see the agents and issues. This plugin allows you to quickly determine agents that haven’t recently backed up, taken a screenshot, or synced a point offsite. You can also filter and sort on device and agent devices, create reports and get trend analysis on the available information.
New: A new feature is the storage calculator tab to help you properly size Datto devices. You can get some more information here.
How to use this plugin:
- Install the plugin from the Plugin Installer and restart LabTech Control Center
- Open the config screen and input your XML API Key in Dashboard\Config\Integration\Datto Monitor
- Configure ticketing while you’re here
- If you purchased a subscription, enter your License key here as well
- Open the plugin from View->Datto Monitor and click the Refresh Devices button (this will automatically refresh every hour)
- Get to work!
How to obtain your Datto API key:
- Log-in to the Datto portal and go to Admin->Integrations (or cheat and use this link)
- Ensure the API is enabled
- Click on the link for Device Information
- This link will take you to a page with xml outputted. Your API key is the latter part of the url (ie: abcdefghijklmnopqurstuvwxyz in https://partners.dattobackup.com/xml2.php?type=status&apiKey=abcdefghijklmnopqurstuvwxyz)
- Ticketing is completely optional.
- You can enable and configure ticketing from the Dashboard config screen for missed screenshots, offsite points, and backups, as well disk space.
- When the devices are refreshed every hour, tickets are created based on your configuration.
- Devices and individual agents can have ticketing disabled so you can ignore devices that you don’t need tickets for, but still want visible.
How much is this plugin?
Free! You you use this plugin absolutely free. The only limitation is that you will be limited to 5 Datto devices (the first 5 provided by the API, which is normally alphabetical). If you have more than 5 Datto devices, you can still use the plugin, but you’ll only see the first 5. If you have 5 or fewer Datto devices, you can use this with no subscription and view all of those devices with no limitations. We appreciate that you’re a small Datto partner and want to give you the opportunity to grow and hope that this plugin will help you along that path.
Again, you can use this plugin absolutely free as long as you want with NO feature limitations aside from the number of devices that will be updated! you only need a subscription to view information for more than 5 Datto devices.
Very Nice. Thanks!!!
This looks awesome. Looking forward to more information posted soon! I missed the beta but if any spots open up please let me know.
Glad you like it! Testing is coming along nicely, and I hope to have a full release soon.
This looks great I have been wanting something like this with with datto and LT. I cannot wait to check this out when it goes live.
Tim – I just installed and it won’t allow me to save my API Key. When I enter it and click save it says “Your license key could not be verified. Please check it and try again.” Is there anything I need to do in order to get the free key to try out with 5 Dattos?
It will state the key can’t be verified, but the API key still saves. Close the window and come back to verify.
So far I really Like this Plugin. I am only seeing 3 Dattos. Any reason I am not getting the 5 so I can have my team truly trial this plugin before purchase?
If you will, please email email@example.com. You should definitely be able to see all 5.
Nice plugin! Considering that the standard Datto/ConnectWise API integration is not capable of closing tickets when an issue is resolved (eg. a device is not checking in, then starts checking in again) would you be able to add ticket closure support? This would be a massive step forward for us.
Just curious, it looks like this was made a while back, does this still work with the newest version of automate?
It certainly does.
A couple questions, and something i noticed
I went ahead and tried the plugin I noticed that there is a link for remote web in overview, it’s greyed out and i could not find any way to get it to not be greyed, is this for licensed version only or in development?
Datto’s got a plug in and one thing they had that we really liked was the ability to see the unprotected drives on the protected machines, is this something that may come in a future version?
i noticed that in your device history you have the x axis labeled with computer names, so what i noticed, just out of bad luck i guess was that one of our biggest datto units have a crap ton of protected devices and all the labels run into each other and over the text for the next device, i also noticed that awesomely you decided to add a pop out text when you hover, is there really any reason to keep the x axis labeled at that point? just a thought.
The remote web of course does work. When the plugin is activated and a single device is selected, the button is enabled.
I haven’t received that request before or considered it, but I can add it to the wish list.
The labels on the x-axis just make it easier to see under normal circumstances. Unfortunately it’s not going to be a perfect fit for all situations, but it’s helpful if you want to look at the chart and not have to hover over individual items.