LabTech Plugin: Printer Status
Posted on December 19, 2014
This plugin will allow additional information gathering and actions to be taken to correct printer issues without interrupting the user. With it, you can:
- Get the list of current printers
- See their current status in Windows (idle, error)
- See the cause of errors – Offline, low paper, low ink, out of paper
- Purge print jobs from the printer. This is very useful if the printer show an error of “Other”, indicating that Windows doesn’t know what’s wrong.
- Set a printer as default (for the console logged in user)
- Print a test page
- Delete a printer
- Restart the print spooler service
- Automatic updates. You’ll need to update once, but it will keep itself updated on a regular basis going forward.
- New view menu for a client level view. There’s a new menu item in the View menu that will allow you to view printer supply levels easily. This includes toner/ink and imaging unit levels, as well as page print counts.
- The view menu also allows you to see printer errors, problems, maintenance needs and more at-a-glance. This information is available for printers detected by network probes via snmp.
- You can also refresh printer information from the network probe while in the View menu to make sure you’re up-to-date.